Wednesday 13 August 2014

First Love(Atleast I thought it was): Part 1

It was a cloudy day and we were practicing (in class hours… It’s always fun bunking classes in the pretext of practice) as the annual district sport meet was just a month away. I had just got into the ball-badminton team from badminton after severe arguments with the badminton coach.

After about two hours we were tired and we as a team went over to see how the hockey team was doing. Our School hockey team had won the state championship quite a couple of times, so the team was always good. I was the vice-captain of the team for a brief period (1 month) before my over protective parents thought I would get hurt and pulled me out of the team.

They were on recess too. And we went over to the team’s goalkeeper who was lurking around the goal post and started chit chatting. I heard someone call out “TOM!!” and I turned around to see my friend Sam running to me.

“Got a minute?” he asked and we went aside and he asked me “Do you know anybody named Steffi?”
“No I don’t, Should I?” I asked him curiously as he never talked about his girlfriends to me and I never bothered to ask. In the meanwhile was racking my brains out trying to figure out who it could be.

“The thing is she is a friend of my friend”, “don’t ask” he added quickly seeing the smirk on my face. I told myself one day you are going to tell me all about those girlfriends.

“This concerns me how?” I asked him and he replied “She has been asking around about you, any idea why?”

I became a little too curious now because I was in a boys only school and haven’t talked to members of the opposite sex in a while (not counting the relatives). So I asked him “I’ve told you before I have no idea who she is. But why on earth would she ask around about me?” trying not to show him that I was interested in the topic.

If you have been in a boys only school you will know how a news like this can spread, the worst part is not the spreading it’s the taunting the other friends will do if they come to know about it. I have seen my seniors do it. Nobody in my class was in a relationship back then, so we had not started the taunting.

“It seems she likes you, and has been asking other girls about you. As they didn’t know anything about you they turned to me for help” He said. “And I just told her that you were a great guy and if you want to know more you should talk to him rather than ask me” he replied even before I asked him what he said.

I didn’t know what to do, this was way back when Nokia 1100 was a premium handset, and not many had it. And to talk to me someone has to call my landline, which the whole family used. And if a girl were to call me and my parents picked up the call, I am screwed.


Now I was worried. He just asked me to take care and was about to leave when I asked “which school is she from?” He just said “Little flower”. I could see a broad smile on his face as he walked away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment